Thursday, August 30, 2007

My Other Girl


So Bridgie started working in the mortgage industry six years ago. She spent five years at one place and then moved over to First Magnus last year, where she did great. She liked them and they liked her and she quickly progressed up the ranks, with ever-increasing responsibility and more money than I ever made.

And now, she doesn't have a job anymore.

Two weeks ago, First Magnus shut down and filed for bankruptcy. I'd never heard of them so I assumed they were an independent outfit like the first mortgage place she worked for, but it turns out that Bridgie is just one of over 5,000 people who lost their jobs across the country.

She's also one of more than 5,000 people who never got their last paychecks. They were paid bi-monthly and the pay period ended the day before the place shut down, so Bridgie's out half a month's pay.

And now, the bankruptcy judge has ruled that the former employees are unsecured creditors and have to get in line to get their money just like any other vendor.

Anyway, it looks like Bridgie's gonna have to give up the house she was renting and move back home for awhile. She's filed for unemployment and she's been job hunting -- even been on a few interviews -- but this thing has already knocked her into a hole that it'll take a while to climb out of. And she's not likely to find another job that pays as much as she was getting, especially since she'll probably have to find a new line of work because the mortgage industry is in a shambles right now.

In other news, today was Britt's first day back at school after a bad cold, and Sherri's been scrubbing herself with dog shit.

2 comments:

OhTheJoys said...

Sorry to hear about Bridgie's job situation. That sounds rough!

Sandra D said...

Aaaaugh, I don't believe it! A superstar blogger -- the always-hilarious Mistress of the Mighty Wind -- visited my blog! When there is nothing currently on my front page that adequately demonstrates my sparkling wit. And now she'll never come back and be my new BFF, er, I mean, visit me again.

Excuse me while I go bang my head against the wall.