Saturday, August 11, 2007

I just painted my nails


for the first time in . . . ? Um, I might have painted them for Sherri's wedding in 2005. I know I had a manicure just before Britt was born, because Sarah wanted me to go to the nail place with her and I was Making an Effort to bond with her.

Also, I just put on my old diamond necklace because I've already broken the chain on my new diamond necklace. I dug out some gold hoop earrings, too.

It's too late to do anything about my damn hair. It'll just have to hang straight off my head like it always does.

My cutest outfit is clean and ready to go.

Too bad I can't get some lipo done between now and 9 AM.

(Please, God, don't let me forget to wear deodorant.)

Dang, I'm nervous.

Enrollment day at the ballet school for Britt. It's a very nice one. Intimidatingly so. They teach classical ballet technique. Using only proper French terminology. And their students have gone on to join dance companies all over the country. All around the world, in fact.

(Well, that's what their website says. They could be lying.)

Anyway, I don't want them to look at dowdy old me and decide that maybe we aren't right for them, somehow. That maybe the class will be suddenly be "full."

It's silly, I know. I just don't feel very confident right now. I've been living such an insular life for the past seven years and now that Britt will be going to two different kinds of school, I'll have to start interacting with people. Not just once or twice a month, but on a regular basis. Like, almost daily. Which is just not my thing at all.

I don't want stand out from the crowd as some kind of socially backward outsider, even though that's pretty much what I am. I want to blend in. I want to fit.

(***sigh***)

It feels like the first day of junior high all over again.

No comments: