Monday, April 09, 2007

It's coming!


Just four more days until my birthday. And my new computer.

And, hopefully, I'll be able to post pictures and videos again.

Hopefully.

And then, hopefully, I'll be back to blogging with a vengeance. Because, right now? I'm kinda all "Meh. What's the point?"

Anyway, I know my new computer will be a Mac, but I'm wavering on whether or not to go laptop. Because, laptop? Wheee, freedom! Desktop? Means being stuck in the office on a very limited schedule.

I want a laptop, but I'm scared. What if wi-fi is slower than cable and I don't like it? How much does wi-fi cost? Should I keep cable as a backup? Because cable is expensive as hell, you know. And that little hinge-thingy that holds the screen on? What if I break it? Will it cost a lot to fix? What if I drop the whole thing and break it? And a zillion other questions. I don't know anybody who has a laptop or wi-fi, so there's nobody to discuss these things with, except for the computer nerds at Best Buy, which is better than nothing, I guess, but damn -- I miss the free computer advice from the IT guys I used to work with.

But if I chicken out and go desktop again, then I'm stuck in the office for another five or six years.

(***sigh***)

Anyway, I hope everybody had a happy Easter. We did, and we also learned an important safety tip:

Do not get in Britt's way when there are Easter eggs to be hunted. She will mow you down.

1 comment:

bookworm said...

I tried this a minute ago but it wouldn't let me.

First - Happy Birthday since you know I'll forget it before then.

Second - go for the laptop, especially if you're looking at a Mac. You can always hook it up to the cable modem if the wi-fi doesn't work as well as you wanted.

My boss uses wi-fi with his laptop and seems very happy with it. The only real issue I've heard about is that people can pull up in front of your house and use your wi-fi, but supposedly you can tell when that happens because your service will slow way down. By now they probably have a fix for that anyway.

Talk to the Best Buy guys - supposedly they know what they are doing.