Thursday, January 18, 2007

Sprung, briefly


Mikey decided to go grocery shopping on his way home from work last night, so he didn't make it home in time to take me to the libarary. This is probably because I called and told him I had nothing to fix for dinner. He asked if there was anything we especially needed, and I said, "Yes. Toilet paper and hot chocolate mix."

(I've been keeping the toilet paper at the back of the bathroom counter instead on the holder and I still had to use the toilet plunger handle to fish two more of Britt's paper piles out of the potty yesterday.)

Then he called from the grocery store and asked if there was anything we especially needed, and I said, "Yes. Toilet paper and hot chocolate mix." Also, I asked him what he already got. He rattled off a list that started with chips, donuts and Little Debbie cakes and I almost sprained something rolling my eyes. "Did you get any meat?" I asked. No, but he'd go by the meat aisle and see what they had.

When he got home and I started unloading groceries, I decided that he was never going grocery shopping alone again, because he always gets stuff that we already have (or don't need, i.e. chips, donuts and Little Debbie cakes). So now we have five bags of fries, three bags of hash browns and three half-gallons of Bluebell ice cream (two of them are Moo-llenium Crunch, which I'm not crazy about) in our freezer, four packages of spaghetti noodles, four cans of Progresso chicken corn chowder, two full jars of Parmesan cheese, etc. You get the picture.

But he didn't get any toilet paper or hot chocolate mix.

Also, I had a small conniption while trying to wedge all the frozen stuff into the tall, narrow and tightly-packed freezer compartment of my fridge, and rather testily pointed out that if my big, beautiful freezer that sits in the middle of the garage was pushed over to the wall and plugged in, I wouldn't have to go through all that wrestling and rearranging after every shopping trip.

So tonight, after I thawed a package of chicken breasts, I remembered that he also brought KFC for dinner last night so I wouldn't have to cook. And I then had leftover KFC for lunch today. And somehow I completely forgot all about that when I decided to fry some chicken tonight. So tonight we're having hot dogs.

Anyway, the sun was shining this afternoon and the temperature was 38 degrees, so I went outside and poked my toe around the yard, the driveway and the street and it was slushy! Woo-hoo! So me and Britt piled into the car and went to the library. And now I have five new books to read, which should do me until this time next week, which should give the snow we're supposed to get this weekend a chance to melt. So, I'm good.

Except that I have no hot chocolate mix and we're damn near out of toilet paper.

No comments: