Wednesday, January 17, 2007

O cruel twist of fate


I had one week of blessed freedom before the Arctic Circle apparently decided to move south for the winter. And now I'm shut down again.

I kinda heard that it was supposed to stay really cold through the end of the month, but I didn't think the ice would last that long. There was 24/7 weather coverage on all the local stations this weekend, but I was burned out on the whole thing after the first couple of hours, so I didn't watch another weather forecast until yesterday and, guess what?

It's not supposed to get above 32 degrees for at least two weeks. And more icy shit is coming this weekend!

This is so not fair!

Fortunately, Britt's only scheduled (and paid-for) activity is an art lesson on January 27; maybe the ice will be gone by then. But we did miss storytime at the library this morning.

Speaking of the library, I'll tell you what's really freaking me out: I have nothing left to read! I finished all my library books and most of the books that Cathy left here last month to clear some space in the back seat of her car. All that's left from that stack is a Jean Auel caveman book and a copy of "The Thorn Birds." Which, I don't even want to go there. I did read Jane Pauley's autobiography, which was the fluffiest piece of nothing ever, and two Reader's Digest Condensed Books, which should tell you how desperate I am for reading material.

I wonder if I can get Mikey to drive me to the library tonight? It's only like a mile away, but still...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This may not help you immediately, but you should check out www.frugalreader.com. It's a book trading group. You list books you have to give away, and when someone requests it, you pay the Media Mail postage to send it to them. When they let Frugal Reader know they've received it, you earn points for it. Then you can use those points to request books from other members, who have to pay the postage to send the books to you.

I think you get points just for signing up and/or your first book listings.

I've been doing this for a while. I've sent about 33 books and have requested about 28 so far (I have points waiting to be spent). I've never had any problems getting my books, either.

I'll take this moment to be an opportunist, LOL! If you do decide to sign up, I can get one free credit if you say I referred you.