Monday, May 22, 2006

A big fat surprise


I went shopping with Mom and Debbie Saturday for dresses to wear to Greg's wedding. It should have been fun, and it was -- until I got into the dressing room.

I knew I'd put on some weight because my size 10 low-riders are pretty tight, so I started with an armload of size 12 dresses.

Uhhh, no. Nope, nope, nope and nope.

Crestfallen, I ditched the 12s and rounded up some size 14s.

What the hell? You've got to be kidding me! Why won't this fucker zip?

My head was beginning to pound by this point, but I soldiered on and tried a few size 16s. They zipped, but I looked like a battleship. I didn't buy anything. I'm not used to seeing myself that way.

Actually, I'm not used to wearing fitted clothing at all, spending most of my days in pajama pants. I can usually count on one hand the number of times I get dressed in actual clothes within a month's time. I finally broke down a couple of months ago and bought some bigger tops to cover my muffin top, but the full measure of my weight gain wasn't clear to me until I tried to find a cute little dress to wear to my nephew's wedding.

It's painfully obvious now that I won't be finding a cute little dress to wear. I'll have to find a large figure-concealing dress to wear. Like a muu-muu.

Remember the blue dress I wore as Sherri's matron-of-honor (happy anniversary, Sherri and Chris!) a year ago this weekend?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It was a size 6. I've gone from a 6 to a 16 in one year. No, wait...I'm looking through the archives... On July 16 I was 129 pounds, so I've gone from a 6 to a 16 in just ten months!

I haven't felt so traumatized since my cat died.

3 comments:

bookworm said...

Tell you what, lets go to the fat lady's store this weekend, and we'll both get muu-muu's!

I really do need to go shopping for something to wear, so let me know if you want to go. I heard an ad for a Catherine's that I was going to go try.

Sandra D said...

Does Catherine's have large floral prints and sparkly bits on every item? If so, I'm totally in.

bookworm said...

Yep. After I posted that comment I looked them up on the web, and it's all sparkly floral stuff!

Why is it that clothing people think that fat people are BLIND?