Sunday, June 10, 2007

Out & About


We went to the Crossroads Kids Club on Tuesday. Britt was totally fascinated by the emcee. Can't you tell?

At Crossroads Kids Club

Her number didn't get called this time, so she didn't win a prize, but she did get up the nerve to go give Sammy D Salamander a hug. I didn't think she would so I didn't get the camera out in time to get a picture, though.

Then she played her little heart out on the playground

At Crossroads Playland

and she rode the big carousel and the mini-carousel

On the Mini-Carousel

and then we had lunch and then we went and got in our oven-hot car and went home.

I hate strapping her into the car when it's so hot. I'm so afraid her tender skin will touch hot metal and sizzle up like a pork rind, but there's no place in the middle of a mall parking lot to put her while I run the air conditioner to get the car cooled down so, hell, what can you do?

Our other big outing for the week was to her zoo class. This month was all about ladybugs and...

Well, Grammy plumbed screwed up. Either because

1. I'm an idiot, or
2. the Alzheimer's is coming to get me.

Take your pick. Somehow I thought the class started at 11:00 (even though we've been going at 10:00 all year) and we got there an hour late, so she missed everything but the ladybug release at the butterfly garden:

Releasing Ladybugs at the Zoo

Britt doesn't do bugs, so she stood back and watched the whole thing in disgust. I finally went and got a handful to show her that they wouldn't hurt, but she ran away shrieking. Then I tried letting just one crawl over my hand, but she just looked at me like, "Have your lost your flippin' mind, woman?"

The trip wasn't a total loss, though, since the cost of the class includes free admission to the zoo. We watched the geese on the pond for awhile

Watching the Geese

and then we went to Aquaticus and watched the Fin & Feathers show.

At Aquaticus

Well, Britt watched it; I watched her, since she wouldn't sit still and was all over the place.

At Aquaticus

Then we went downstairs to see the fish exhibits

At Aquaticus

and then it was time for a play-break

On the Playground

and a carousel ride or two.

On the Carousel

She's always so cute on the carousel; while it's going around she waves to the crowd like a beauty queen on a parade float.

No comments: