Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Picture This


I've been dicking around with my new photo software, trying to figure out why it is that I can't figure out how to upload pictures from my new camera.

It turns out that it's not me that's the problem. At least, I'm pretty sure it's not me. I could be wrong.

Anyway, according to the manual, the uploading part is supposed to pop up automatically when I plug the camera into the computer. It doesn't. There are instructions for how to make it pop up manually, but that didn't work either.

So I looked further in the troubleshooting guide and I found instructions on how to look for two particular drivers in my device manager. Well, they weren't there.

Ooookay... so how do I make them get there?

Beats me.

The installation wizard doesn't give me the option to install individual components; it's an all or nothing deal. So I uninstalled the whole thing and reinstalled it. The two particular drivers still aren't there.

So that's what the problem is. Without the drivers that won't install, I will never be able to upload photos from my new camera.

(***scream, tear at hair***)

So what the hell am I supposed to do now? I could:
  • trade the camera in for a different make/model, but will they take it back since I've had it for more than 30 days and I've opened the software packet? And will they take back the $50 memory card after I've had the cute pictures of Britt at the zoo printed? Because I'm pretty sure this $50 memory card won't work in any other make/model of camera.

  • call the technical support number, but after waiting on hold for three hours will I get to talk to someone who speaks English? Will they just try to read the manual to me? Or maybe a a miracle might happen and they'll say, "Oh, yeah, I know what you mean. Do this and this and you're all set." (Yeah, right.)

  • take my computer to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and pay $30 to have them install the software for me.

  • buy a new computer, because maybe the problems I've had trying to install this software and Mikey's camera-phone software are related to the advanced age of my computer?
Hmmm, what to do, what to do?

1 comment:

bookworm said...

Go to their website and download the driver. I don't remember which version of windows you have, but if it's not at least an XP, most add-on's won't automatically work.