Thursday, September 21, 2006

Britt pee-peed in the potty!


When we woke up this morning I changed Britt's diaper as usual, but it was dry! This has never happened before.

I was worried about her kidneys, so I said a little prayer.

After breakfast she started talking about pee-pee, so I asked if she wanted to pee-pee in the potty. She ran down the hall to the bathroom and I took her diaper off (finally wet, thank God) and she sat on her potty. And she peed!

I yayed and clapped and asked if she needed to poop, and we sat there for a while but nothing else happened. Finally, I wiped her little poony and when I turned around to put the paper in the toilet, she grabbed her little green boat and put it in the "water" in her potty. So then we had a talk about what does and doesn't go in the potty.

We don't have any pull-ups so she got to wear her first pair of big-girl panties. I brought her potty into the living room so she'd have easy access to it, and we called Poppa to tell him the good news, and then we colored for awhile and "ate" lots of food from her new super-deluxe play kitchen (Mikey found a replacement for the incomplete one she got for her birthday) and then, about an hour later, she pooped in her new big-girl panties. I'd been watching for that, but her face doesn't usually show it when she's pooping, so she caught me by surprise.

Well, you know, it's been almost 25 years since I've had to deal with poop in big-girl panties, so it was pretty awkward trying to get them off her without getting it everywhere but I finally managed it. I put a fresh diaper on her so I could relax for a little bit (because it's hard work being vigilant), and then I went to put the wipes in the trash before going to the bathroom to empty the poopy panties into the toilet, and the poop fell out of the panties onto my kitchen floor.

(**sigh**)

Anyway, it's a start. I'm happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for you and Britt!

Sparky still isn't there yet. She could be, and should be, but she isn't. Maybe when Artsy Girl gets back to work, I can work on getting her trained.

bookworm said...

Britt's way ahead of Kyra. Lesley says she knows when she has to go, and could tell if she wanted too, but it doesn't bother her a bit to have a dirty diaper!

Good job Britt!

Sandra D said...

Well, it's not a done deal by any means. It'll be months before I can rely on her to take herself to the potty every time she needs to go -- if everything goes smoothly, that is, and it never does. But she did show me that she has some understanding of the general concept and, like I said, that's a start.