Friday, April 01, 2005

Earthbound


Remember when Daddy used to load us into the station wagon and park us next to the airport to watch the planes take off and land? I remember getting all excited when we spotted certain ones, so we could yell out "BI Bluie!" or "BI Reddie!" or "BI Brownie!"

I never put two and two together back then, but I guess Daddy was probably thinking about his own flying days when he'd take us out there. I must have caught the flying bug from him, because I've always been fascinated by it. I used to think about taking flying lessons someday, but now I'm content to just be a passenger, being taken away to anywhere that isn't here. I love the mobility that flying allows: being able to step on a plane in one place and step off somewhere else a few hours later -- far, far away.

Mikey, however, hates flying. I haven't been able to get him to set foot on a plane since 9/11, and he recently admitted that he doesn't think he ever will again. So, I guess I'm grounded. My wings have been clipped.

(**sigh**)

Oh, well -- he makes my life happy enough in other ways that I ought to be able to live without air travel. He did say that if I can find one of these giving rides somewhere nearby, I can go--even though it costs about $500 for a 30-minute flight--because he knows what it means to me.

Problem is, only a few of them are still airworthy, so I'm not sure when that will ever happen.

Dang, I sure miss flying. I feel like I've been stuck in one place for an awful long time.

No comments: