Friday, April 15, 2005

Birding: Fledgling efforts


Finally got some binoculars for my birthday, but the pair Mikey picked out are so powerful that I can't focus on anything in my yard. I can see what's going on in the neighbors' trees just fine, though. Sherri loaned me a little bitty pair that's perfect for viewing within the yard, so I've been getting to know my birds and enjoying myself immensely.

There's a pair of (I think) sparrows that live in the top right hole of my purple martin house (it's a 12-holer), and a black or blue-black bird that lives in the top left--too small to be a crow. There's a huge granddaddy bluejay living here that looks as big as a crow. Saw a robin today, and watched a squirrel cavort about and then drape itself across a branch in such a cute way that I ran to get the camera. Got one shot before it took off, but the picture came out too dark.

I think I need a more comprehensive bird identification book (sorry, Bridgie). And a 35mm camera with a telephoto lens--I just can't get the pictures I want with digital.

No comments: