Sunday, August 27, 2006

Illin'


We've been so sick over here. The flu, I think. It was so bad that I missed two whole days of computer time. Yeah, I heard you gasp in shock. Two whole days.

Mikey came down with it first: snotting, sneezing, hacking and choking, then he spent a night huddled in a fleece blanket breaking a fever.

I got it next; my worst day was Friday, when I drifted in and out of consciousness all day. I did manage to stagger around long enough to fix Britt breakfast and lunch, and to dig out my heavy winter sweatpants and a long-sleeved sweater because I was freezing my ass off. I woke up a few times to find Britt throwing crayons in my face or using my pain-racked body as a trampoline:

ooooh, sweetie... grammy's so sick... I can't... zzzzzzzzzz...

Gawd, the pain was way worse than the snotting and hacking part. I felt like I'd been sledgehammered all over. I was curled up in a fetal position at one point and when I tried to draw my knees up closer to my chest I got a whanger of a charleyhorse, which was like the freakin' cherry on top.

Mikey didn't miss a single day of work, so if he felt as bad as I did and still managed to stay upright all week, he's a superhero.

Britt had a snotty nose for a couple of days and then... nothing! Her nose cleared up and there was no fever, no coughing, no malaise, no nothing.

Seriously, she's only been sick three times in her life, she's never had an ear infection, she never has fevers or poop issues, she hardly ever has a snotty nose, and she's never had eye boogers. Not once, ever.

This kind of blows me away, because I already raised two kids and they had plenty of all the above. Even pneumonia at one point. We always had a bottle of pink amoxicillin in the fridge, sometimes one for each kid.

I don't know what to think about our little miracle baby, except that her immune system must be fucking stellar.

No comments: