Saturday, December 29, 2007

How does she know that?


One of Britt's stocking stuffers was a set of animal pictures for her Viewmaster. She popped one in, took a look and said, "Ooh! A puma!"

How the hell does she know what a puma is?

While I was getting ready to go Christmas shopping, we were looking through sale papers together when she pointed at a picture and correctly identified a telescope.

When we were getting into the car, she pointed up to the sky and said, "Look! Seagulls!" Sure enough, we occasionally do see seagulls around here, presumably because of the nearby lake.

Tonight I played catch with her; she used her fuzzy pink purse as a baseball "gwub" and, when she was throwing to me, she'd swing her arm around like she was winding up for a pitch.

We were watching Tom & Jerry flying to Mars when they passed through an asteroid field. Britt pointed and yelled, "Meteors!" While technically incorrect, it was close enough that I was impressed.

Say what you will about kids watching too much TV, none of this stuff has been covered in any of the books I've read to her, and none of it is stuff I would have thought to teach her yet. I don't know how else she would have picked it up.

She's just astounding us left and right lately.

No comments: