Thursday, October 19, 2006

Trying to get organ-ized


Does anybody remember the little electric organ Mom dumped on us when we moved into this house? I know Bridget does.

Anyway, it occurred to me that Britt might enjoy playing it, or playing with it, whatever. Actually, it occurred to me that banging away on it might distract her from, you know, coloring. And the noise? What-everrr! As long as it gives me a break from coloring.

So this afternoon, I unearthed it from its parking space in the garage, cleared a trail, and dragged it into the house, where Britt promptly crowed, "Panno!" She'd never seen the thing before and I hadn't opened the lid yet so she could see the keyboard, so I was mighty impressed that she knew it was a piano. Well, an organ, but close enough.

I washed it down and tumped it over, only to discover that the entire base of it was hollow. And filled with little white balls of spider eggs.

(***shudder***)

Which should've been my first clue that I ought to drag it right back out to the garage.

So I cleaned it out and dragged it through the dining room toy room, after clearing yet another path, and parked it in front of the window. I plugged it in, turned it on, and...

Nothing. Not a whimper, not a wheeze. Just nothing.

I dragged it around and tried it in six different electrical outlets just to make sure, and then I dragged it back out to the garage, where it has frozen in the winter and baked in the summer for the past six years. And has also, apparently, served as an incubator for generations of little baby spiders.

(***shudder***)

Anyway, Cathy's supposed to be giving us her old piano. Also a cat, which she's bringing over tomorrow, but the piano has to wait for coordination between truck-borrowing and storage unit visiting. I'm thinking about taking down the aquarium to make room for it. Does anybody want any fish?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a keyboard for a while. Sparky called it a "singsong".

bookworm said...

You're getting rid of the fish?!! Let me talk to Chris - I might just want them. Of course, he'll say we don't have any room for them, so I'll have to work on him for a couple days, so I'll get back to you.

Sandra D said...

I've always been afraid Britt would manage to tip that huge tank over on herself somehow. And if it goes away, then I can move the playpen full of toys to her room and get my dining room back.

It's been a few years since I bought any new fish and I don't have that many left, so if space is the issue they'd probably do fine in the 10-gallon tank that's sitting in my garage. I took that one down when she started crawling because it was way easier to tip over.