Thursday, March 16, 2006

Scared spitless


Britt woke up crying hysterically at 2:00 this morning; we brought her to our room and it took over an hour to get her calmed down and back to sleep. Must've been a bad dream or something -- I dunno.

Then Mikey woke me up at 7:00 asking where Britt was.

What do you mean, where is she?

I can't find her anywhere!


We keep the safety gate across her bedroom doorway at night so she can't get up and roam; she can only stand at the gate and holler at us. But there was no gate across our bedroom door so she could've been anywhere in the house. So we ran frantically back and forth, looking in every room, under tables, inside the cabinet she likes to climb into. She was nowhere to be found.

It never occurred to me that somebody might've broken in and taken her. No, during those terror-stricken minutes the thoughts flashing through my mind were that she had gotten stuck somewhere and suffocated, or she did something with an electrical cord and was electrocuted, or she fell head-first into the toilet and drowned, or she pulled something over on herself and was crushed. And whatever it was would be all my fault because I didn't put the damned gate up.

Just as I drew breath to start screaming her name, I saw her. She was curled up on the floor by the back door, sound asleep.

Gaaaah!

Not my favorite way to start the day. Definitely. Not.

*****
Anyway, here's our girl later this morning, all safe and sound and reading a book:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Did you notice her cute jammies? It's hard to tell from the picture, but they're covered with words like moon, dreams, starligl, twinkle, wishes...

Whoa, back up -- "starligl"?

Ha! You thought you caught me in a typo, didn't you? Nope, this one ain't my fault:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Blooper jammies.

2 comments:

bookworm said...

Oh my God, I'd have totally freaked out too. On the woke up at 2 am deal, Taylor used to have terrible night terrors, where he'd wake up like that. It would take forever to calm him down. Terrifying for all of us. I don't know if Lesley ever found out what caused them or not. He did finally grow out of them, but I think it took awhile.

Anonymous said...

The Doc said that they usually happen when children don't get enough sleep. Kyra would also have them but only when we went somewhere overnight and didn't get enough sleep during the day. She actually had them at Sherri's in January. With Taylor we finally decided he was having horrible growing pains in his feet and shins. He is just such a sound sleeper that he didn't know what was going on when he woke up.

Les