Thursday, March 30, 2006

Doggy dilemma


I just want a dog, dammit! I never thought finding one would be so hard.

My only requirement is that it be small -- no more than 25 pounds adult size -- and Mikey's requirement is that it be a puppy. I'm open to a dog that's a little older, though, and already housebroken.

I checked local breed rescue sites and the local sanctuaries and shelters online. The dogs at the sanctuaries are all medium to large -- even the puppies will grow bigger than what we're looking for, and most of the places I looked at don't want to place dogs in homes with toddlers.

(***sigh***)

Mikey has three customers who breed dogs -- one sells Yorkies (too small), one sells pugs (not really appealing to me) and one sells King Charles spaniels -- so I looked up info about these breeds online and learned all about puppy mills and genetic health issues.

So now I'm scared to even look at ads in the classifieds. And no way will I buy a dog from a pet store.

So now what do I do? I just want a dog, dammit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Taylor was a baby I looked into getting a puppy. The best one I found for children that was small and not very hyper was a Westie. Not sure of the spelling. It is cousin to the Scottie. It looks the same but is white instead.

Les

Anonymous said...

we were thinking of breeding Itybity. but that may be too long a wait.