Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Mikey & me


Many years ago, the company I worked for moved my department from Fort Gibson to Muskogee, and a guy was hired for several weeks to do some repairs and maintenance on our newly-acquired building.

The girls in the office all thought he was cute, but I was happily celibate at the time, following a string of failed relationships, and I wasn't looking for romance. No way, no how. Besides, he was impossibly young and would never be interested in somebody like me. He was 23, I was 31 and raising two kids.

My buddy Joycie couldn't resist a little matchmaking, though. The only other single girl in the office was a bad-tempered redhead, so she started nudging Mikey and me together. We had some friendly conversations and peeked around corners at each other, but neither of us really thought the other was that interested.

When his time working for us was almost through, a group good-bye lunch was arranged but, as the appointed hour arrived, everybody suddenly remembered something else they had to do.

So, twelve years ago today, Mikey and me went to lunch together -- alone. Afterward, when we climbed back into my Jeep to go back to work, he laid a big wet one on me and I was both shaken and stirred. So rattled that I got lost driving back to the office, on a route I'd driven dozens of times before.

Eight years ago today, I married the great love of my life and the best friend I've ever had.

Thank you, Joycie, wherever you are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy aniversary Sis. Best wishes to you and Mike. With all our love Phil & Jamie

Sandra D said...

Thanks, guys. We love you, too.