Sunday, November 30, 2008

Crafty Kid


Britt came through the office and started digging through her basket of craft supplies. "What are you doing?" I asked. "Looking for clues!" she replied.

Then she thrust a handful of pipecleaners in my face and asked what they were. I told her they were pipecleaners. "Uh-uh," she said, "they're buckaroos!"

She took off with sheets of construction paper, googly eyes and other assorted items, then came back and started digging again. "Now what are you doing?" "I'm looking for more clues!"

Clues? Buckaroos? Beats the hell outta me.

*****

She came hopping in from the backyard, pointed somewhere near her ankle and wailed, "I broke my bone! It very hurts!" "Your bone? You mean your foot?" "No, right here!" "You broke your leg?" "No, here!" "You broke your ankle?" "No, I broke my bone!" "Well, is it still broke?" "No," she said, and hopped back outside again.

*****

She watched me fixing some cheese nuggets for her lunch, and said, "I might need some chopsticks for those." Where she came up with the idea, I have no clue. After that, she started hoarding corndog sticks and using them as makeshift chopsticks -- which basically consists of trying various handholds while occasionally stabbing bits of food so she can shove them into her mouth.

*****

Trying to convince me she needed to take a bath, on a night when she didn't really need to take a bath: "But I'm so stink! I smell like a puppy!"

*****

Today she wandered up and burped at me. She said, "I burpeded. Like a catfish." And then she wandered away again.

*****

It may be time for a refresher course on good manners but, holy crap, this kid cracks me up.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

That's too funny. I miss her, I was really hoping that we could make it down. I posted some video on my blog, and will get thanksgiving pictures up hopefully tomorrow.