Thursday, June 14, 2012

When a Video Goes Viral...


It all began with a simple trip to the zoo last Saturday. My daughter-in-law and her sister took the kids to see the animals at the zoo. And then this happened:


My daughter-in-law posted the video to Facebook but hadn't been able to upload it to YouTube, and asked if I could figure it out. I did, and somehow the local news in her city caught wind of the video and interviewed her about it for their Monday evening newscast.

Then local radio stations picked up the story and, just this morning, the video appeared on Good Morning America, the CBS Morning News, and the UK's Sun News website. And those are just the ones I know about! Meanwhile, I've been watching in disbelief as the stats on my YouTube page steadily climb, with viewers from around the world, including Russia, Saudi Arabia, Romania, and Japan.

What to make of all this? Heck if I know. Life in the 21st century, I guess. It's an odd little blip in our otherwise ordinary lives, but it does have me musing over what a small world it's become, thanks to the Internet, and how our sweet little boy and a sweet little chimp and three minutes of video can touch people we will never ever meet.